(Morris Avenue to Passaic Avenue)
The west side of this block included: The First National Bank, Patterson Real Estate and Insurance, the Post Office, O.H. Brown Real Estate, and H.H. Moore Real Estate and Insurance.
The bank was organized in March 18, 1901 with a capital of $25,000 and a paid-in surplus of $12,500. It had all the modern facilities of the time including a manganese steel safe in a fire and burglar proof vault. "The Spring Lake bank is in the hands of men of unquestioned integrity and financial ability and the directory includes the names of some of our most solid and substantial citizens. O.H. Brown is president, W.H. Potter, vice-president, and Fred F. Schock, cashier. These with E.V. Patterson and Frank Durand compose the board of directors." Spring Lake Gazette, July 11, 1902 (Three of these gentlemen served as early mayors of Spring Lake).
The second floor of this building has always been used for office space. For a while the telephone company was here. Many local right-handed young women worked there. The telephone company would not hire left-handers because all the equipment was set up for use with the right hand.
(John W. Clapp Associates)
Mr. Patterson came to Spring Lake to serve as the train master of the Spring Lake Beach railroad station. In 1892, when Spring Lake Beach and North Spring Lake merged, he was elected the first mayor of the new borough of Spring Lake.
Like most early businessmen, Edward V. Patterson had
diversified interests. He had an express service which
picked up the luggage and household staff of the summer residents which he delivered to the cottages or hotels. He also sold real estate and insurance.
Mr. Patterson's oldest son Arden had the haberdashery next door.
First National Bank and E.V. Patterson Building
|After the 1900 fire, the post office moved to Third Ave. For a short time it was in the new National Bank building and then took up quarters where Veronica's is now. The post office then moved to Morris Avenue to where the Hobby Shop is now and then up to 1410 Third Avenue. In December of 1996, it moved to Spring Lake Heights.||
Boy Scout Campout, Third & Washington Avenues,
site of Post Office, Spring Lake Historical Society collection,
Braly Studio photo, donor Bob Todd
Everything changes. Third Avenue is no exception. When it was laid out and graded, it was a dirt street on which horses trotted and carriages rolled. Eventually the automobile replaced the horse, and in 1920, the avenue was paved. Livery stables became garages. Automobile dealerships, and auto repair shops appeared. Gas pumps sprang up along the avenue.
For nearly the first half of this century, Third Avenue was a clearly defined line dividing two Spring Lakes. There was the Spring Lake east of Third Avenue and the Spring Lake west of Third Avenue. During the summer, the town east of Third Avenue glittered and bustled with the activities of the summer visitors. During the winter months, east of Third was dark and empty. All the homes and hotels were boarded up for the season. West of Third Avenue, lived the year round residents; the people who operated the business which supported the resort community. Third Avenue itself changed with the seasons. Winter saw many of the stores close for there was not a population large enough to support them. The people and the Avenue had to adjust to the seasons. As Dr. Robert Patterson put it: "It was three months scurry and nine months worry".
After the Second World War, more people made Spring Lake their permanent home. Today, most Spring Lakers are year round residents and Third Avenue's businesses stay open all year.
Boyd, William H. Jersey Coast Directory, 1886-7.
Colrick, Patricia, coordinator, "Guide to Businesses on Spring Lake's Third Avenue/Property Owners", Spring Lake Design Assistance Committee, 1995.
Colrick, Patricia, research notes pertaining to Third Avenue.
Haulenbeek, Jane, "Miss Allison. 50th anniversary", video, Spring Lake Historical Society, 1996.
The Jersey Coast, George W. Richardson, New York.
"Jersey Pioneer", Asbury Park Sunday Press, Nov. 14, 1971.
Spring Lake Gazette
St. Andrews Church Cookbook, reprint of 1903 edition.
Sucato, Kristy J., "Ye Towne Shop Fits Out Three Generations", The Coast Star, May 30, 1996.
Thermann, Walter, and Bob Todd, Jerry Tricarico, Stan Truax, Bill Wingard, Marie Wingard, "Reminences of Old Spring Lake", video, Spring Lake Historical Society, March 28, 1993.
Wingard, Marie, "Mr. Crisanti at the Shoe Shop" video, Spring Lake Historical Society, July 25,1988. Wrege, Charles D., Spring Lake, An Early History, The Bicentennial History Committee, 1976.
| Where to Eat |
Where to Stay |
Where to Shop |
Professional Services |
Things to Do |
Home | Visitor's Guide | Features | Directions | Tides & Weather
Municipal | Schools | Churches | Organizations | Links | Town Maps